Sunday, December 25, 2005

On being right

Sometimes I am positive I am correct in whatever I say. I really can not control it. I have a belief and if I do not think it is correct why should I hold it. It is why I am an atheist. It is why I use FreeBSD, and it is why do not vote in this silly 2-party system. I have utter disgust at doing something that goes against what I think. I have confidence in what I think and will gladly repeat what I said if I am asked. This has certainly gotten me in trouble with people that are not very receptive of my ideas. The important thing though is that I am fully aware that my ideas might be wrong. There is certainly a significant probability that I am wrong. I do not know everything. Until we as a human civilization that achieve immortality I will not. There is almost always some fact that I am missing that had I known I would change my opinion. Being open to change is very crucial to understanding and so I am.

Now there is an exception to this rule. I have run into people that are so much interested in having a discussion with me but changing my opinion. Now there is nothing particularlly wrong with this. But they do it with vague quotations and facts that are not true. These are people that suggest reading opinion papers. I do not want to be given an opinion. Give me facts and only facts. I will use these to make up my mind. Give me real facts, lying to me is deception and manipulation. I will never tolerate this from another human being. There are so many ways to sway a person, lying will not be tolerated. This talk of ends justified by means is rationalizing cold human manipulation for ultimately selfish reasons.

When I make decisions it is based on these facts. It is also why I will stay my decisions. If I do not I send a very clear message that I am not certain of what I am thinking. A decision needs to be followed until it is proven incorrect. At this point a new decision needs to be made at precisely the point when the old one is wrong and continue with the new decision. Until the old one is proven wrong you need to persist. Dedication is the only way things done, and it is the only thing that backs the currency of a decision. That is why I have nothing but complete pride in my opinions, if I did not I would be wasting a lot of time now. Call it ego or excessive hubris, but I have a better alternative. Instead of insulting me why don't you show me a reason to change how I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home